García Joins Delegation Lead by Speaker Pelosi to the Northern Triangle Countries in Central America and U.S. Southwest Border at McAllen, Texas
Washington, D.C. — Congressman Jesús “Chuy” García (IL-04) joins a bipartisan Congressional delegation led by Speaker Pelosi to Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras and McAllen, Texas.
“I appreciate Speaker Pelosi’s leadership in organizing this delegation to the Northern Triangle countries. The Northern Triangle of Central America is an important region, and has a strong connection to my district and the Midwest. I look forward to meeting with government leaders, local groups, and human rights organizations in order to strengthen our partnerships with these countries and find ways to make it safer and more stable for people in their communities,” said Rep. García.
“As our high-powered delegation begins our visit to the Northern Triangle, we look forward to strengthening our partnership to enhance regional security and stability, create greater economic opportunity, combat corruption and advance human rights to make it safer for people to thrive in their communities,” said Speaker Nancy Pelosi. “In our meetings with representatives from government, the judiciary, civil society, community and faith-based groups, the private sector and human rights organizations, we will renew our commitment to advancing our shared interests and to helping empower the people of the Northern Triangle to build a better future at home. We also look forward to honoring the cultural and family ties that connect our people and the enormous contributions that generations of immigrants from the region have made to the United States.”
After concluding their visit to the Northern Triangle countries, the delegation will travel to McAllen, Texas to see detention conditions for migrants from Central America and to meet with faith-based and community leaders, as well as with asylum-seeking families. Many Members of the delegation have made several visits to the border, where they have been heartbroken by the horrific situation. House Democrats will constantly visit the border to demand that conditions are improved to reflect American values and to respect the dignity of every person.
The Members of the Congressional delegation are:
- Speaker Nancy Pelosi
- Chairman Eliot Engel, Foreign Affairs Committee and Energy & Commerce Committee
- Chairwoman Nydia Velázquez, Small Business Committee, Financial Services Committee and Natural Resources Committee
- Chairman Jim McGovern, Rules Committee, Tom Lantos Human Rights Commission and Agriculture Committee
- Chairwoman Lucille Roybal-Allard, Homeland Security Appropriations Subcommittee
- Congressman Henry Cuellar, Appropriations Committee
- Congresswoman Aumua Amata Coleman Radewagen, Natural Resource Committee, Small Business Committee and Veterans’ Affairs Committee
- Congresswoman Norma Torres, Appropriations Committee and Rules Committee
- Congressman Anthony Brown, Armed Services Committee, Ethics Committee, Natural Resources Committee and Transportation & Infrastructure Committee
- Congresswoman Mary Gay Scanlon, Judiciary Committee, Rules Committee and Select Committee on the Modernization of Congress
- Congressman Jesús “Chuy” García, Financial Services Committee and Transportation & Infrastructure Committee
- Congresswoman Katie Hill, Armed Services Committee, Committee on Oversight & Reform and Science, Space & Technology Committee
- Congresswoman Lauren Underwood, Education & Labor Committee, Homeland Security Committee and Veterans' Affairs Committee
# # #