Congressman García Votes for Additional Relief for Working and Immigrant Families
Washington, D.C. - Today Congressman Jesus “Chuy” Garcia voted to advance H.R. 6800, the HEROES Act, which passed the House of Representatives 208-199. The legislation would provide more than $3 trillion dollars in comprehensive relief to families, small businesses, and state and local governments.
“I voted for the HEROES Act to provide more than $3 trillion in relief, including more than $6 billion to my district, for working people, immigrants, small businesses, as well as vital resources and protections to frontline, essential workers and families struggling to stay afloat during the coronavirus pandemic. This legislation does what the CARES Act and the previous four relief bills did not: it includes immigrants and it addresses some of the key systemic disparities causing pain for working people, Latinos, and the families I represent.
“Though a significant step in the right direction, the HEROES Act could have gone further. It should have included the Paycheck Guarantee Act to secure workers’ their salary and benefits while unable to return to work. It also failed to include a moratorium on ICE enforcement and to protect detainees in unsafe detention centers.
“Black, Latino, immigrant and working-class communities across Chicago are suffering from some of the highest rates of infection, mortality, homelessness, and unemployment in the country. These include neighborhoods I represent like Cicero, Little Village, and Belmont Cragin which have the highest rates in the state. Children are falling behind in school without access to the internet or connected devices. Parents are forced to choose whether to pay their rent or buy food. Working people are left with no choice but to work, even without protective equipment or paid sick leave.
“The aid in the HEROES Act is badly needed in every community and sector of the economy. It would:
- Provide $175 billion in rent or mortgage emergency assistance will help keep families in their homes.
- Enable immigrants with ITIN numbers, previously excluded from financial assistance checks, to receive $1200 from the IRS for them and their children.
- Distribute $200 billion in hazard pay (up to an additional $13/hr.) for frontline workers in essential fields like the nurses drawing our blood, the meat and produce handlers picking and shelving our grocery stores, and our transit workers running Pace buses and CTA trains.
- Commit another $75 billion for the expansion of testing, tracing , and treatment and include immigrants among those eligible for these vital services.
- Secure $3.6 billion to ensure vote-by-mail is universal for all federal elections.
“The communities I represent desperately need relief and the HEROES Act commits over $3 trillion to meet those needs and addresses the serious inequities in previous relief packages. The Republicans continue to prioritize corporations and profit over the very lives of the people they represent. Mitch McConnell must pass the HEROES Act and provide working people the help they need and the economic support our country requires in this unprecedented crisis.”